Kate says

People have asked about my name, if I’m related to one or more other Wilhelms here in Oregon.  I’m not.  My maiden name was Meredith and I started writing when I was married to Joseph Wilhelm.  No one advised me to use my maiden name as my pen name and I didn’t think of it at the time.  So, no relation to other Wilhelms.  Since I had been published using the Wilhelm name, I was advised to stick with it.  Later, thinking about it, I came to realize that bit of advice was probably wrong.  At that point in my career a name change would have meant very little.   I might add that in my many years of teaching writing, I always advised young women to use their maiden names. No one knows what changes the future will bring to any of us, but the name one is born with remains intact.

Kate

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Kate says

1. Terri says:

I don’t know where I have been 🙂 but I have just discovered you and your wonderful books! I have made my lists and will be scouting libraries and Amazon soon, I cannot wait.
    In regards to your comments, I would like to say I agree with you on choosing a pen name. Your thoughts are well spoken and appreciated.
    I would love to chat longer, however, I am headed to the LIBRARY ~~~lol~~~And when I get home, I am going to AMAZON!

Many thank you’s, Your newest fan, Terri

2. Mary Martin says:

I have just finished reading Heaven Is High. I have also read Cold Case and A Wrongful Death. I am confused in Heaven Is High that Barbara’s father has moved into the mountains and Barbara’s partner Darren has drowned in the McKenzie River. They are only briefly mentioned and not explained. Have I missed a book between Cold Case and Heaven Is High. I can’t find it if that is the case. Please explain so I can go back to enjoying reading your series.

3. Katma Tally says:

I suppose now I’ll have to get an e-reader, just so I can read some of Ms. Wilhelm’s backlist! I love your books, and especially love the “family” in the Barbara Holloway books. Frank and his cooking and “Christ on a Mountain!” and Thing One and Thing Two, crusty Bailey and all the others.

4. Anne Diallo says:

I am rereading Juniper Time for the 15th or 16th time. I bought my copy new, in 1978. It sits on my shelf of classic science and speculative fiction, as does “Where Late the Sweet Bird Sang”. They are there with about 20 other books that I never tire of, and find something worthwhile in with every read. Thank you.

5. Beverly Collins says:

I am wondering if I will ever be able to buy another hardback or paperback of your latest books. I LOVE the Barbara Holloway series and know that a new one is out but I have not been able to access it. I have an injured arm and can not hold even the lightest weight ebook – paperbacks are manageable. And I do not enjoy audio versions as much as the visual editions. Will watch for an answer. Keep writing!

6. Steve Donelan says:

So when will Kate’s new books be available as print on demand, for those of us who do not use ebooks?

7. baversa says:

I’m reading Death of an Artist and thoroughly enjoying the book. As a someone who has worked in health care for many years and often in teaching institutions there is a glaring error in Van’s start date for her internship. All internships and fellowships start on July first nationwide. The only time someone starts later is if a position is left open so the teaching hospital fills the position at a later date. In spite of that, I am thoroughly enjoying the book.

• admin says:

Kate says: Beth, thank you very much for your comment. I didn’t know that, and I have to admit that I didn’t think to look it up. There are always facts in any profession that outsiders simply don’t know, and most often conscientious writers will do some research to try to fill in the gaps. I failed in this instance and feel abashed about it. I didn’t know there was something here to be researched!

8. corie says:

Hello Kate, I am listening to The Deepest Water and am really enjoying it, The ONLY problem I have is the pronunciation of local places by the reader. They are a bit off, for example how she is pronouncing Willamette… just a thought.. but I am really enjoying the story….

Corie

9. corie says:

Hello Kate, I have been listening to The Deepest Water and am really enjoying it, the ONLY problem I have is that the reader needs to be versed on the pronouciation of local places, such and Willamette… just a thought…. and I am liking the book too!!!!

10. Jessica Pfeifer says:

Just finished reading ‘Death Qualified.’ Oh my – really enjoyed reading it. I haven’t actually read a book in a number of years, didn’t allow myself the time. My BF suggested that I read it – she was totally inthralled in it. Both her and husband are avid readers – it took her approximately 2 days. I started reading it this past Friday evening and finally finished it Sunday evening. Saturday had to allow some of my best of times, which is tending to my garden and flowers. Your writing now appears to match in interest level. As you can tell I am so interested looking out on-line to find more. Very happy to be able to share some time reading your novels – looking forward to reading more. Thank you, Jessica

11. Lee Withey says:

Have messaged you but just had to write to say that I have just read my first book written by you. The book is called “The Price of Silence”. It was wonderful and I could not put it down until I had finished the last page. Cannot wait to get back to the library or my kindle to find more novels written by you. Keep on doing what you are doing as it is perfect.

12. Mildred Gibbens says:

You are one of the best, & I love the Barbara Holloway series. When I read it, it is like going home, the most wonderful feeling ever. Thank you, please write more of Barbara H.

• admin says:

Kate says:
      Thank you, Mildred. I love writing about Barbara, Frank and crew. They’re like family to me, too. There is a new one coming out in September, titled By Stone, By Blade, By Fire. It’s very long and complicated. We’ll have an ebook available, and later, as soon as we can manage, a print on demand book. Look for it at infinityboxpress.com. As many of you know by now, I have started my own publishing company, a reaction to a terrible contract that proved to be non-negotiable to the point of acceptance. The company’s name is InfinityBox Press. Wish me, us, luck with it.

13. Patricia Williams says:

Oh how I love your books. I take a list with me to the library and I am sure they wonder what is with me when I check out every one on the shelf I haven’t all ready read. Actually, I read Defense of the Devil…returned it…and the next time I went to the library, checked it out again. I just get so excited when I see the books on the shelf, I don’t even bother to see if I have read it yet. I just grab and go.lol Keep writing; I’ll keep reading. More BH please but I also love the others…(I have a legal background so I am prejudiced for the BH ones). Am reading The Deepest
    Water now…just love the way you tell a story.

• admin says:

Kate says: I grew up in the library practically. Without it I would have been illiterate. It always gladdened my heart to wander into a new library (to me) and see that they had my work. It was the fulfillment of a dream I had as a teen: to be in the library as a writer, not just as a reader.
      We’ll be putting all of the Barbara Holloway novels in ebook format just as soon as we can get them ready, and there will be a new one titled By Blade, By Stone, By Fire in September. It will be an ebook, also, as well as an audio book. Please visit my new company InfinityBox Press. Email: infinityboxpress.com. All of the Charlie and Constance books and stories are now available in ebook format, along with a new one Whisper Her Name. My elves are working as fast as they can to get the rest of my backlist formatted and available.

14. Anne K. Kaler says:

I’m a retired college teacher and a volunteer at the Pearl S. Buck House in Bucks County, PA. We recently self-published a book entitled Writers Who Quilt-Quilters Who Write. I am writing a blog explaining how quilts show up as literary devices in other novels and I stumbled across Skeletons (2002) in which you detail the use of flour sacks as quilts. I hope to use this example of quilts as proof that quilts represent both characterizing details and slight reprimands for lack of frugality in the younger generation.
    Mu question is — are you a quilter and/or how did you obtain such specific detailed information, especially the denier count? I’d be happy to include your reply in my blog.

15. Kathy Austin says:

I am an inveterate mystery reader, and picked up Death of an Artist recently from the New Books shelf at the local library. I haven’t read any of your other books, but will certainly be checking them out! I hope you write more about Van and Tony!

16. Jane Swint says:

Could not find a place to contact an editor . . .
    re: Death of an Artist – page 115
    “mufti” simply means the civilian clothes of a person whose job includes a uniform.
    The first use of the word is correct. The second use is meaningless. Did you mean khaki?

17. sue browning says:

I love all your books. I am legally blind so I must “read” on audio. I jusat wish the reader could pronouce Willamette correctly. It is not Willa met. e